The Ghana Chamber of Mines is the main minerals industry association in Ghana. The Chamber represents the collective interests of companies involved in mineral exploration, production and processing in Ghana.
Its activities are entirely funded by its member companies, which produce over 60 per cent of Ghana’s mineral output.The Chamber has represented the industry’s interests since 1928.
The first offices of the West Africa Chamber of Mines, which gave birth to the Ghana Chamber of Mines, were set up in 1903 with the principal objective of advancing and protecting the mining interests of the shareholders. The Chamber was composed of directors of the Mining Companies in London who, among other functions, had power to promote or oppose any legislative measures or petition government and administrative bodies in the colony on many matters, which directly affected mining interests.
On 6th June 1928, the Gold Coast Chamber of Mines was incorporated as a private Company and operated at Tarkwa in the Western Region. On Ghana’s attainment of independence on 6th March 1957, the name of the Chamber was altered to the Ghana Chamber of Mines. By a special resolution on 6th May 1960, the form of the objects of the Chamber was also altered, and on 14th February 1964, the Chamber was converted under the Companies Code 1963 (Act 179) into a Company Limited by Guarantee. In 1967, the registered offices of the Chamber moved to the national capital, Accra.
The Chamber has since remained a voluntary private sector employers’ association representing companies and organizations engaged in the minerals and mining industry in Ghana. Programmes and activities of the Chamber are funded entirely by its Member Companies, which are largely responsible for producing almost all of Ghana’s minerals.